7.23.2009

Embarrassing the gods?


This is a new one on me:
Farmers in an eastern Indian state have asked their unmarried daughters to plow parched fields naked in a bid to embarrass the weather gods to bring some badly needed monsoon rain, officials said on Thursday.

Witnesses said the naked girls in Bihar state plowed the fields and chanted ancient hymns after sunset to invoke the gods. They said elderly village women helped the girls drag the plows.

It must be a very surreal culture for them to think this embarrasses only the gods. You have to wonder what these naked, plowing, singing girls are thinking.
"See me, O Weather Gods. Do I not shame you? I shall shame you some more with my nakedness. And my singing. And my plowing. I might even repair the roof and fix the tractor. I will do the work of my fathers and brothers, naked, until you give us rain. Or until they get bored with their new X-Box and 40" Sony HDTV. Until then, my bare buttocks will continue to embarrass you!"

Someone should take a poll in India as to how many men are praying for rain - and how many are not. Especially when Kareena and Jasmine take to the fields!

1 comment:

bigjohn756 said...

I want to go out into the fields and cheer the girls on in their endeavors to appease the gods.